August 18, 2008

The Michael Phelps/Tim Alan Smith Connection


Recently my website generated an abnormal amount of page views. My web host was baffled as our bandwidth continued to exceed the amount allotted in our plan. Confused, he investigated and found out that a photo I had of Micheal Phelps (pictured above with me and softball star, Jennie Finch) was generating HUGE traffic. It turns out that a Time Magazine Cover from the 2004 Olympics that I had linked on my site (because I interviewed Michael in Athens) was #1 on the Google Images page! One of my brides from a few years ago even e-mailed me saying she sent the link to a friend and realized after it came from my page! Things were getting out of control- almost a million views in 2 weeks- so we took the photo down so our site wouldn't crash!

Anyway, it was just a reminder to me of the good times I had at the 2004 Olympic games working for Sports Illustrated. I got to know Michael as he stayed with us after winning his six gold and two bronze medals. I had the opportunity to spend some time with him and he is fun, funny and full of energy. He did not have a mean, pretentious or arrogant bone in his body as far as I could tell. We shared laughs, had a few good conversations and I filmed an interview he did with a Sports Illustrated writer.

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate him on his amazing accomplishment of 8 gold medals at the Beijing games, making him the most prolific Olympic Champion in history.

No comments: